Amorous Armadillo Games
July 24, 2014, 01:00:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: doogie

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nice Manners for a Thief  (Read 3327 times)
HSHP
Crucible
Heated Armadillo

View Profile Email
« on: May 10, 2012, 01:57:56 PM »

http://nicemannersforathief.blogspot.com/2...conversion.html <-- bigger pictures here!!

When my friend for whom this commission is for gave it to me, I said, "Man, wouldn't it make a great conversion if you added some Balrog wings to it?"

To which the friend replied, "I've got some Balrog wings. . ."

And so this project was born. Its taken me about a month to complete it, though I've not devoted anywhere close to that amount of actual TIME on the model. He's gotten a little love here and there as I worked on other projects.

Usually I would spend some time breaking down the recipe I used for everything, but there's too much. I'll let the pictures do the talking. . .

The wings are done with a crazy mix of colors and washes that I can't even remember all the ingredients for. I just kept changing it up as it went, Its mostly Bleached Bone.

Jordan Peacock
Heated Armadillo

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 02:40:16 PM »

Wow!  That looks pretty impressive!  Do you have any links to the original models for comparison?  (I.e., so I can tell what this model would have looked like without balrog wings, or what sort of balrog those wings were from?  I'm not familiar with the miniatures line.)

HSHP
Crucible
Heated Armadillo

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 04:34:17 PM »

Sure man!

HSHP
Crucible
Heated Armadillo

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 06:00:23 AM »

http://nicemannersforathief.blogspot.com/2012/05/return-of-lord-of-rings-projects.html <--- bigger pics here!

These are the first LOTR minis I've painted in over a year. They're also my first foray into the interesting conundrum that is Finecast.

The first thing I noticed upon receiving these from my client was the price tag. Holy Crap! 2 models (1 with a foot model included) costing a total of $56 with about 5 cents worth of plastic between them. Unbelievable.

I mean, I'm not one to typically complain about miniature prices, but this enough to make me sick to my stomach.

Next, upon un-boxing the minis, I found what a lot of people have been saying about Finecast models to be 100% true - the casting is crap. None of the models in the blisters were without flaws. The Dragon Knight's sword had a gap that spanned the entire blade and had to be filled and sanded. Mounted Amdur, Lord of Blades was missing one of his helmet horns (which I cannabilized from the foot model), and the foot version - which my client does not need - had only half a sword.

So not only are these models sold at something like a 10,000% mark up over materials, but they are also horribly flawed and in some cases even useless out of the package.

Anyway, here they are primed and assembled. Rant finished, we are off to the races. . .

HSHP
Crucible
Heated Armadillo

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 01:59:04 PM »

http://nicemannersforathief.blogspot.com/2012/05/last-of-legion-for-bit.html <-- Bigger pics here!

Proteus!

Last of the Legion stuff for a bit. This is part of an ongoing comission army, and I need to trim down my project list a little (currently 4 projects going), so I can clear some things out.

This guy was fun to paint, but not my favorite. I really like the model (probably because of a teenage obsession with HP Lovecraft), but the Carnivean body is not the coolest in the range, and the tentacles are fairly uninteresting to paint.

I do like how the tentacles turned out, though. To me, it looks like a mouthful of earthworms, and I like how disturbing that is. They were painted thusly:

- Gray Primer
- dilluted Elf Flesh/White Glaze mix
- Black Glaze
- Pink Glaze
- White Glaze for highlights

HSHP
Crucible
Heated Armadillo

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2012, 12:39:53 PM »

http://nicemannersforathief.blogspot.com/2012/06/withershadow-combine.html <-- Bigger Pics Here

I've had these guys painted up for a couple of weeks, but finally took a day to snap some pics.

Its interesting (to me) to look back on how I've painted my Cryx. I started out going for gritty and real, and the style has become a little more cartoony and stylized as I've developed more defined formulas for the colors I use.

Also interesting (maybe to others) I've started doing mixing final bright highlights with White Glaze, rather than White paint. I think it gives a little softer gradient when it dries. We'll see how it develops.

sportscomedian
Amorous Armadillo

nebula666@netscape.net nebula666 vengeance000
View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2012, 03:11:18 PM »

Booooooooo. I hate those guys. Have had them turn my jack into a helljack twice. Not fun times. But very nice paint!

----------------

I am Tim!
1/3 Of The Tri-Mayors.
HSHP
Crucible
Heated Armadillo

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2012, 07:12:26 AM »

http://nicemannersforathief.blogspot.com/2...ne-project.html <-- Bigger Pics Here!!

I've professed many times that Legion of Everblight range is one of the finest fantasy miniature lines available, but Cryx is right up there too. As evidence, I present the Cryx Battle Engine: The Wraith Engine!

I have multiple comission jobs running right now, but I've had this model sitting in the box for a couple months and couldn't resist putting it together. Its so cool and evil, that it begs for paint as well as your soul. Here it is on its hand-crafted cemetary base, but only partially complete. The complexity of the model warrants a multi-stage painting approach. I'll be priming and painting the side panels (which attach to the two peg holes above the head)seperately in order to catch all the detail that will be partially obscured once they're glued in place.

Mr. Radar
Take that baby, that baby aint mine.
Amorous Armadillo

Lasers go pew-pew

PoopshanooganZar fuzzzy88
View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2012, 07:21:18 AM »

Nice!  I approve.

I vote for:  All of Justin’s posts must be approved by a moderator.
Derp Filter in 2014!!!
HSHP
Crucible
Heated Armadillo

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2012, 10:57:53 AM »

It took me forever to paint these lovely ladies. I started the basecoat on them last Fall, and though I've played with them a lot, I've only put a concerted effort into finishing them this past month. Pathetic!

I must say, I love these models. A couple of the poses are on par with many faction's caster models, and all of them are festooned in detail - which is one of the reasons it took me so long to get around to finishing them.

http://nicemannersforathief.blogspot.com/2012/07/blood-witches.html <-- Bigger Pics Here!!

Though the color scheme is fairly similar to the studio scheme, its actually just adding red to my already purple-heavy army scheme. I left the eyes white because they're often depicted that way and I was just a teensy bit lazy.

Here's the awesome Blood Hag UA and one of the better single posed unit members:

Unit leader and gal pals:

More gal pals

Jordan Peacock
Heated Armadillo

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2012, 12:39:13 PM »

I really like those rich reds and purples!  Cheesy  Also, out of curiosity, what is the backdrop you use for photographing your minis?  Is that some sort of fabric or mat board curved up to make a corner-less background?

HSHP
Crucible
Heated Armadillo

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2012, 01:57:24 PM »

That, my friend, is merely a piece of paper Smiley

Check these out:

http://massivevoodoo.blogspot.com/2010/05/photo-backgrounds.html

Chris Cuevas
Auxilla:Warmachine/Hordes
Global Moderator
Amorous Armadillo

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2012, 03:27:26 PM »

Love 'em. Those sculpts seem so much better than the whip babes.

Soon, Crucible III !
Jordan Peacock
Heated Armadillo

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2012, 09:59:28 PM »

Heh.  I thought I'd seen this same texture used in the backgrounds in a few other minis, and perhaps I've figured out WHY now.  Grin  Thanks for the link!

HSHP
Crucible
Heated Armadillo

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2012, 04:58:47 AM »

http://nicemannersforathief.blogspot.com/2012/08/bane-lord-taterus-and-bane-knights.html <-- Bigger Pics Here!!

I actually painted these guys a while ago, but am only just getting around to posting them.

With all the fiddly bits and metal, I'm afraid it breaks my theme a little.  All the 'fake' NMM tends to break down when its so prevalent.

And it took forever to do, too!

This is just a handful of the full unit. After you've seen a handful of Bane Knights, you've kind of seen them all.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: